Daily Fast Feed Roundup
Good morning Tumblr! Here’s a quick rundown of what you need to know today:
[links, links, links]
- Photos of the block-long lines for cronuts are an unsettling reminder of the NYC’s often-forgotten class/wealth divides.
Have a great day!
[Image: Flickr user cumi&ciki]
When the author of the article above calls out “class divide” as problematic because of lines — oh, the horror! — she clearly isn’t paying attention.
But the many photos on Instagram and Twitter of blocks-long lines for cronuts are an unsettling reminder of the class divide in New York. If you’re too busy to wait, you can pay someone on Craigslist $35 for the $5 pastry.
Meanwhile, one in five New Yorkers experience food insecurity on a regular basis, according to the Food Bank for NYC, and almost 3 million of them live in neighborhoods without access to adequate affordable fresh and healthy food.
With the national food stamp program currently facing billions in cuts, hunger and scarcity have very different meanings in different zip codes of New York City.
Those lines? Those are signs of all kinds of good things. Somebody has created something really valuable to lots, and lots of people. These people have the freedom to stand in line for hours. Getting paid just to stand in line?! That’s a brilliant opportunity market at work by smart entrepreneurs, folks who probably weren’t getting paid before, and at a pretty good rate.
Furthermore, the finish with out-of-nowhere comments about food insecurity and cuts in programs is a wicked red herring.
23 Notes/ Hide
- glasgowinteractive reblogged this from fastcompany
- businessoutsider reblogged this from fastcompany
- rev320productions likes this
- dogsimas likes this
- dogsimas reblogged this from fastcompany
- buildingothersup likes this
- hilker reblogged this from fastcompany and added:
- be-harmless likes this
- everythingwhereitbelongs likes this
- falser likes this
- whatsthematternowrebecca reblogged this from fastcompany
- whatsthematternowrebecca likes this
- sensiblestupidity reblogged this from fastcompany
- electric-rhapsodies-in-bloom likes this
- fromoktober reblogged this from fastcompany
- mercadeo-publicidad likes this
- carolync31 likes this
- akio likes this
- austinvegas reblogged this from fastcompany and added:
- calmbeforeaction reblogged this from fastcompany
- groovyghouliesummer reblogged this from fastcompany
- undergarybuseysbed reblogged this from fastcompany
- seanrrwilkins reblogged this from fastcompany and added:
- fastcompany posted this